Monday, December 17, 2012

When Darkness seems to hide His face

I like everyone in America am so saddened by terrible events that happened on Friday. I obviously don't have children, but I am an aunt, friend, babysitter, and human, and I think every single one of those titles made me feel such a depth of sadness for all of those families.  That whole community is experiencing such a loss and tragedy that I pray wholeheartedly never comes near my family or anyone that I love.  I cannot go on Facebook or Yahoo or watch the news without tears welling up in my eyes and getting a huge lump in my throat. This is a time of year that joy is supposed to abound. I do not understand this.

Yet, in all of this sadness, I do have hope and peace. In church on Sunday, I was reminded of the peace and hope and yes even joy in the midst of sadness and pain that my Savior brings. I couldn't help, but cry. Some of my tears were shed for all those families that are affected, but some were tears of gratitude that I worship a Savior who is Lord of all.  I do not understand how or why that terrible thing happened, other than the fact that we live in a fallen and broken world. But, in all of that I know that death has been defeated.



"Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,this Scripture will be fulfilled:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.
 O death, where is your victory?
    O death, where is your sting?”
For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power."  
1 Corinthians 15:54-56
I think that this truth is all that I can focus on because all the other what ifs and whys are simply too complex for me to comprehend.  I think in some ways that the best thing we can do to honor all of those children who lost their lives in a terrible way is to reach deep down and find our childlike faith. And trust that although darkness is out there and evil exists and terrible things have happened that we have a God who is bigger and stronger.  I hope and pray that all those families find peace and comfort. I hope that they know that their sweet babies are with a loving Savior who has defeated their death.

We sang this at church yesterday. I have always loved the hymn that these words come from, but for some reason yesterday it said what my heart was feeling.

Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all

When Darkness seems to hide His face 

I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
My anchor holds within the veil


I pray that this week and into Christmas, we don't allow Darkness to hide His face. Peace and Joy to you this week. I hope that you all have a great week filled with all the Christmas goodness you can muster.  We did find time this weekend to have a Christmas date with three of our favorite girls.

Carriage ride with her Bubba. Love that girl.
For that, I am very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment