Friday, September 7, 2012

A Stab at Meal Planning

Being newly married and working a "big girl" job have created chaos in one department... food. Over the past few months, our wallets and waistlines definitely showed that we had to quit eating out all the time. It really is difficult to cook for two people. Things naturally come to serve four. A good rule of thumb is that two people should not eat for four, even in Mississippi.

Some of this chaos is a result of laziness I am ashamed to say. I truly love cooking, and it really is fun. What is not fun is the grocery store. Or waking up early to fix lunches. So, the convenient thing to do is to "grab something out."  Well, this month I decided no sir, no way. I shopped for a month and stored things in the freezer in serving sizes. This allowed me to buy the bigger package of ground beef instead of running by the store and picking up the smaller size six times in a month.

I was also realistic and planned only five dinner meals a week (with Sunday night as standing Brinner night). Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? Tuesday nights we have small group through church, and we eat there. I figure we will catch plans on a Friday or Saturday so I only have a meal planned one of those nights. That way we are flexible. Truthfully, I thought that this would make me feel a slave to a menu. But, in reality, it has taken off so much stress just knowing I don't need to think about what we are eating.

Next week looks like this, and I am excited!

Sunday: Brinner (I am feeling pancakes)
Monday: Red Beans and Rice (a family favorite recipe)
Tuesday: Small Group
Wednesday: Grilled Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Lima Beans and Corn
Thursday: Taco Night!! (If I could eat Mexican for every meal I absolutely would)
Friday: Grilled Pork Chops and Sweet Potato Fries
Saturday: Eat the Pantry.

When did I become a girl that gets excited about a weekly meal schedule? This month is kinda an experiment in this method of organization and cooking. I am looking forward to Fall when I can start putting that CrockPot to use and make some delicious gluten-free one pot meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment